Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Friday, April 8, 2016

Organization Mini-Series: Organize Yourself

For the next few posts I will be doing a mini-series in preparation for the organization class I will be teaching next week. I wanted to be able to include the following things in more detail in my class: Organize Yourselves, Organize Your Kids, and Organize Your Time. However, because of time constraints I can't fit them all in. Instead I will be posting them on here. :)


I may feel like this on the inside some days but you won't ever see me look like this on the outside! Ha ha!

Organize Yourself

I. Introduction 
There are so many ways to be organized other than just having an organized home! Life organization is equally important to having a less stressful life. When you take the time to love yourself, you will be a nicer mommy, more loving wife, and altogether happier.

II. Put Yourself First 
When I became a new mom at the ripe old age of 22, I realized that there seemed to be a trend going on with a lot of my mom friends. Somehow, it became an unspoken rule that when one entered motherhood, one had to "let themselves go." I noticed many moms declaring to the world, "I'm a mother! I'm busy! I don't have time to fix my hair! I don't have time to get dressed! Make-up? How dare you even suggest such a thing! I am devoting all my time and energy into motherhood now and putting myself very last on my to-do list. That is why I go grocery shopping in my pajama pants!"

I knew I didn't want that to happen to me! That is why I decided right then and there that I would not fall victim to that trend and would remain true to myself. I decided that no matter what, I would get myself dressed, fix my hair and put on makeup each and everyday. And I would do it before I cleaned the house, ran errands, etc. I decided to be bold and instead of putting myself last on my never-ending list of things that needed to get done I would (gasp) put myself first! At least in this small way. :)

I have five children so believe me when I say I know how time consuming it is to be a full-time mother and a full-time homemaker. But think of it this way: If you had a job outside the home would you roll out of bed, stick your hair in a messy bun, and go to a meeting with your boss in pajamas? Of course not! The idea is laughable! Your boss would expect you to arrive at work neat, clean, organized, and ready for your day. And if you weren't you probably wouldn't have that job for too long. ;)

Well, when you are a stay-at-home mom you are your own boss and you can hold yourself to that same standard! I find that because I take the time to pretty myself up each morning that I am happier. It gives me a mental boost each morning to know that I did something for me. :) Especially when it seems like the rest of my day is devoted to serving my family and others. I also like that I am sending the message to the world that I like myself. I care about myself and I love what I do. I love being a homemaker and a mother and by looking nice everyday, I am declaring that I have a happy life. I don't think I would be sending the same message if I looked like crap all the time. ;)

And it's easier than you think. Grab a shower while the baby naps. Turn on a show for your toddlers while you fix your hair or set them up with some toys in your bedroom while you put your makeup on. It will do your children a world of good to see that their mommy is taking the time to care for herself.

III. Mommy Projects
Another important part of self-organization is what I like to call "Mommy Projects". Homemaking and motherhood can oft times be like the movie Groundhog Day in that the monotony and same thing day in and day out can be tedious to say the least. That is why I like to do "Mommy Projects" every now and then. When I feel myself getting overwhelmed I try and take a little while to do something I like. After all, I am not just Ainsley, Aftyn, Gavin, Breah, and Brody's mom. I am also Cara. I have likes and interests outside of homemaking and motherhood, believe it or not. ;)

I have a craft room downstairs in our basement that is my sanctuary. I can keep it messy and it is my own space. I can go in there and get creative while my kids play in the family room. I am still accessible to them and tuned in, yet I'm not doing just mommy things. Instead I am pursuing my own things. It helps me feel refreshed and ready to go back to the drudgery. ;)

IV. Health and Spirit
Probably the most important part of keeping your life organized is keeping your health at the top of your list. After all, if you don't have your health then what do you have? You owe it to yourself and your family to care for the body that God gave you. You need to keep your mind sharp. Make health a priority. Drink lots of water. Eat healthy foods. Exercise. Read good books. Be an example to those you love.

There are really no excuses when it comes to taking care of oneself. If I can be healthy with a crippled foot, then anyone can. Start small but just start. Take your husband and kids along too. They will thank you for it. :)

Don't forget to feed your spirit too. Read scriptures. Pray. Meditate. Whatever it is that you do to feel more connected to whatever it is you believe, do it. A happy spirit is a healthy spirit. :)

V. Conclusion
This concludes this segment in my mini-series. I hope you have taken my advice to heart. I truly feel when you love yourself better it makes it easier to love others better too. If you make yourself a priority every day I promise you will find the time to care for yourself and be ready to conquer the world!

Stay tuned for the next edition in this mini-series: Organizing Your Kids!

No comments: