Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Organization Mini-Series: Organize Your Kids

For the next few posts I will be doing a mini-series in preparation for the organization class I will be teaching next week. I wanted to be able to include the following things in more detail in my class: Organize Yourselves, Organize Your Kids, and Organize Your Time. However, because of time constraints in the class I can't fit them all in. Instead I will be posting them on here. :)
Aww, look at my sweet baby girl, Aftyn. The cutest princess wiper-offer ever!

Organize Your Kids

I. Introduction
A key component to having a more organized life is getting the whole family on board. If you don't put forth an effort to keep your kids organized as well as yourself chaos will ensue and it will happen fast! Five kids remember? Ha ha. ;) There are some great ways to help your kids be more organized which in turn will help everything in your household run more smoothly.

II. Teach Kids Independence
The more kids can do for themselves the less you're going to be running around like a crazy person trying to do everything for everyone. A small child is capable of doing many things if you just give them the chance. For example, they can help clean up, do simple chores, and fetch things. With a little guidance, they'll soon be managing a lot on their own.



I love checklists! They are super helpful for keeping kids on task. My kids (almost) never need to be reminded of what to do each morning and night. All they have to do is refer to their checklist. I've been doing the morning checklist for a few years now and it works great. The bedtime works well for my three middle children. My oldest is a teenager and although she knows what she is supposed to be doing, it's the convincing that's the problem. Ha! I'm still counting it as successful since three kids follow it like clockwork. ;)


Another thing that I do is have my kids set out outfits for each school day. The oldest now picks out her own clothes but I still have her set them out each Sunday night. The others prefer me to help and that's okay. That way I know they match. ;) It cuts back on morning chaos when everyone knows exactly what to wear.

III. Teach Children to be Helpful
I remember watching a reality show with Jessica Simpson. She had recently married and didn't know how to do any housework. Her mother had done it all for her and her sister, including cleaning their rooms while they were at school! She's rich so she can just pay someone to clean for her but the rest of us don't have that luxury. You are doing no favors to your kids if you don't teach them basic life skills, including how to clean. 



This is what I like to call the "Helpful Chart". Anytime I ask my kids to do something for me and they promptly obey with a good attitude they earn a sticker. After they've gotten ten stickers they earn a reward of their choosing. I give them three choices to help narrow things down and keep it fair. My kids love this chart and I love that it is so positive. Once a sticker goes on they can't lose it for naughtiness either. I love it. Plus, I laminated it so the kids just peel their stickers off when they're ready to start over again.



My kids also do chores regularly. During the school year they are mainly in charge of keeping their rooms picked up, taking out the garbage, clutter control, and bathrooms (Saturdays). In the summer they have many more responsibilities. They get paid allowance for doing these chores. I also provide some $1 "wild card" chores that they can pick from, up to three a month, if they're trying to buy something quicker. Chores are non-negotiable. They get done or they lose a privilege. They always get done. ;)

IV. Provide Storage for their Things
This last point is so important! If you don't provide places for your kids' things then there's going to be many lost shoes/ homework/ items. You have to train your kids to be organized and teach them your systems otherwise it's going to be a failed effort.
Those who know me best know how much I love my cubbies! They are tucked into the corner of my laundry room and have proved to be invaluable as far as keeping my kids organized. Each child has two cubbies; one for their shoes and one for their coats/jackets/hats etc. I got mine from IKEA and they were worth every penny!



I also provided hooks for backpacks and lunch boxes for each of my kids in the coat closet. The kids know the drill very well: Hang up backpacks, put shoes and coats away, done! Little things like this make life so much easier. Don't forget to label too. That way there'll never be any confusion on whose spot is whose. ;)

V. Conclusion
In conclusion, I just want to say that I get it. I truly do. Trying to keep kids organized is a daily effort and it's not easy! However, if you implement just a few simple changes I guarantee that it will become at least a little easier. Teaching your children to manage themselves and their things is so important. And even though they may balk at change, in the long run they will be glad you taught them. :)

No comments: