Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Thursday, October 25, 2012

Yes You Can(ister)!


First off, I am sorry this poor blog has been so neglected. I am pregnant with baby number five and unfortunately even though I am almost 6 months along now, am still sick. Go ahead, feel sorry for me! I know I do! Ha! Anyway, just because I've been sick doesn't mean I haven't been organizing. The big project at my house right now is a total redo of my craft room. I am so excited about it! It won't be done for a while but it will be awesome when it is. I'll tell you all about it for sure!

Today's post is about the glorious world of canisters. Hey when you're an organizer you get to use words such as "glorious" when referring to storage. It's part of the job description! So moving on... canisters can really make a difference when it comes to having an organized pantry.

Just look at how great my pasta looks! No clunky ugly boxes here and the best part is I can see exactly how much I have left of each. Looks like I'm running low on the mini-rotinis! All of the canisters I bought at Wal-Mart for a low, low, price except for the spaghetti container which a Tupperware product. You can spend as much as you like on storage solutons but I prefer to save money as much as possible when I de-clutter.

To aid my frazzled memory I simply write how long the pasta is supposed to be baked on the inside of the lid with a permanent marker. It doesn't get any easier than that!

Another thing I like about canisters is you can squeeze a whole bunch into a small space. My pantry is not very big but because these canisters are narrow I can fit six into a space that's only about a foot wide!

Currently, these are the things I am storing in canisters: dry milk, brown sugar, bread flour (I have a bread machine), corn meal, powdered sugar, whole wheat flour, white rice, brown, rice and I recently added a canister for dried potatoes.

For the rice and potatoes I simply cut out the cooking instructions and tape them to the canisters so I know how to cook them. Looks great!

I will try to be more regular at posting but I can't make any guarantees. In the meantime, it looks like you've got some work to do. Happy organizing!

No comments: