Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Crafting 2011

I love to create things, especially at Christmas time. This year is no different. Check out the things I've been working on!
The first crafts I made were these cute little sconces. I decided I needed something to balance out my rag wreath but I had no idea what I wanted to put there. The only thing I knew I wanted was the cute stars you see on the top of the sconces. I once saw these stars on a Christmas tree at my doctor's office and fell in love. They're super easy to make too.

While I was at Hobby Lobby I came upon the sconces and thought they were cute and unique. I am a sucker for anything made out of grapevines. I then glued the berries on and stuffed the insides of them with leftover squares from the rag wreath. I think they turned out really cute and they go well with the wreath. :)
The next project I worked on was my little Christmas tree that sits on top of my fireplace mantle. I've always decorated this tree the same way every year but last year I decided to try something new. So after Christmas I bought some new ornaments on clearance. The garland is made from white feather boas and the tree skirt is made from fabric I got out of the remnant bin.

The tree skirt was horrible to make and don't look very closely at the stitching because it's not very good. I learned the hard way that my sewing machine doesn't like sewing sequined ribbon but I got it done and I like how it looks with the tree.
And it wouldn't be a good crafting session without some painting. I found this snowman at Hobby Lobby for $2.95! A little paint later and voila! Most of my Christmas decorations are snowmen and I think this guy makes a welcome addition to my ever-growing collection.

Merry Christmas Crafting!

No comments: