Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolve to Get More Organized

Tis the season for New Year's resolutions! I know that some people don't agree with making them but I see a resolution as a gigantic goal and I'm all about goal-setting. This year I challenge you to make one of yours to become more organized.

I know people think my house is always immaculate and that I spend all day slaving away to make everything sparkly and clean. I am here to state, however, that both of those statements are untrue. If you were to drop in on me unexpectedly you would find toys strewn about, crumbs under the table, and rings in my toilets. I have four kids, one of whom is a sweet little baby who insists on being carried pretty much constantly. That makes keeping a spotless house impossible. I do, however, clean up quickly if I am expecting guests. :)

Day-to-day maintenance of a house is a necessity, not a passion for me. I try to at least keep up on laundry and keep the main floor of my home picked up every day. The rest of the chores get fit in where ever they can. Organizing is where I shine and find a lot of peace.

When my house is organized I feel my life is too. In fact, when I am stressed, I clean out a closet and feel so much better. It drives me crazy when I can't find things or piles of clutter start to build up.

Now I want you to take a look around your own home and ask yourself, "Are there any specific points in my daily routine that aren't working for me?" "Which areas cause me a lot of unnecessary stress?" Did you find any? I'll bet you did! These are questions I ask myself constantly and when I realize problem areas, I fix them.

Find and fix yours too. Whether it's a cluttered pantry that's slowing you down in the kitchen, a way to get your kids to put their things away, or an inexpensive way to make a laundry room more functional. The possibilities are endless if you can find the motivation to do it.

And don't you worry I've got lots more ideas in store. So stay tuned!

No comments: