Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Friday, September 23, 2011

"Fall"ing in Love

I've not had time to devote to this blog lately and I apologize. To my loyal followers, thank you for hanging in there with me as I've tried to get the hang of having three kids in schools this year and a napping baby too. :)

Happy Fall! Today is the first official day but in my book, fall begins on the very first day of September. We have gorgeous falls around here and I love the sunny days with a soft cool breeze blowing lazily around. I love the crisp mornings and the way the azure sky suddenly gets a little deeper. I love how everything smells cinnamony and homey. I love watching the leaves change, antiquated by the long hot summer, yet refusing to give in to winter without going out in a blaze of fiery autumn hues.

Ah! Autumn is my favorite time of year! And because it is my favorite, I like to do it up right in my home decorating. Each year I try to make or buy something new to adorn my abode with. Here's the things I've added this year:
First I set about making my front porch look festively fall-ish by wrapping autumn leaf garland around the banisters and adding white twinkle lights. This is going to look even cuter come October when I add my friendly ghost and candy corn lights I bought to go around the door! Fun!
I found this large metal pumpkin at Hobby Lobby and fell in love. I put it up where I had the seashell wreath I made for summer. It seemed lonely so I bought two wreaths from the dollar store to go on either side of it. The were super easy to make: I simply spray painted them brown spray paint and tied strips of fabric around them. I added felt sunflowers to the top for some more visual interest. Total, they cost me a whopping 3 dollars!
The Happy Harvest sign was my fall purchase from last year and it's great. The real thing I'm excited about in this picture though is the paper pumpkins on the mantle behind it. I bought them on clearance the year we moved to Utah and they have been in their bag since. I just couldn't figure out what to do with them. I think they look cute interspersed with the autumn leaves, don't you? Next year I hope to find something to put up in place of the "Home Rules" sign at the back that will match a little better. The best part about this display is it keeps us all from stacking clutter on the mantle like we usually do! :)

Being a wife and a homemaker can sometimes be dull, monotonous, and hard. It's easy to lose sight of the little things that bring us joy in each day. Decorating for fall is so fun for me! It makes me happy when I look around and take it all in. Add to that a spicy smelling candle and there is nothing better.

It's just what I need to bring a smile to my face when I've had a stressful day. What brings you joy about fall?

No comments: