Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Style Matching


No, this is not a picture of my living room... but I do like the colors!

I occasionally watch The Nate Berkus Show and yesterday was one of the days I caught it as we have a cold going through our house and I wasn't feeling motivated to do much of anything except veg. Anyway, Nate and another designer were talking about how a person's clothing style should be reflective in their interior decorating. Apparently, the two should go hand in hand, and if they don't then you're not really allowing others to see the real you when they enter your home.

I find this concept to be very fascinating and I've been thinking about it ever since. I was telling my husband about this last night at the dinner table and asked him if he thought my clothes and my house matched. He looked me over, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "I don't see it..." Husbands never do though, right? However, the more I've thought about it, the more I realized that yes, my clothes and my house do tend to match.

For example, yesterday I was wearing a teal and green striped sweater and corduroy pants. Although Nathan pointed out that I don't have anything in those colors in my home he was, of course, wrong. My guest bedroom is a French country theme decorated in a dusty teal and brown. My living room and master bedroom are shades of green, and I own a corduroy chair which is my absolute fave plus two corduroy beanbag chairs. See where I'm going with this?

I love birdhouses and welcome signs. You'll find them everywhere in my country-cozy home. I keep my home styled in earth-tones, nothing bright. I myself and a quiet person who prefers to blend in for the most part. I want people to feel comfortable in my home as much as I want them to be comfortable around me. I think my personal style both in my clothes and home say that. I'm a genuinely kind and quiet person, a peace-maker and I've often had people tell me how peaceful my home is.

So, having said all that. Now it's your turn. What do you think your clothes and home say about you? Definitely something to think about. :)

1 comment:

jgirl said...

I love comfort (think big squishy couches) and I'm not afraid of color (I have golden walls in my great room. Even if I am dressed in all neutrals, I will always throw in a pop of color for interest. I love clothing that has a classic feel and love to throw in something funky or unexpected. I have classic-lined couches with a 70's style phone table for an end table. We all know I wouldn't hesitate to wear bright colored cons with ANYTHING! ;0)