Homemaking is whatever you make of it. Every day brings satisfaction along with some work which may be frustrating, routine, and unchallenging. But it is the same in the law office, the dispensary, the laboratory, or the store. There is, however, no more important job than homemaking. As C.S. Lewis said, "A housewife's work... is the one for which all others exist."

James E. Faust


Monday, October 18, 2010

Love Your Linen Closet

Here's what my linen closet looked like before-piles of barely folded sheets, mismatched, and unorganized.
 I am fortunate enough to have oodles of storage in my house. Whoever built it must've had something in common with me because I love to have a place for everything. I have two linen closets (actually three if you count the tiny one tucked in my girls' bathroom) which enables me to have one closet just for towels and one just for bedding.

The bedding closet has proven to be a big pain for me. I've never been able to keep it looking neat and it's been a big trial to keep everything from getting mixed up. This is mainly due to a certain husband (who shall remain nameless) who just grabs random sheets in the middle of the night if one of the kids has an accident. I LOVE that he is willing to help me out in the middle of the night but didn't like that everything was getting mixed up, or that the kids would end up with queen-sized sheets on their bed which I'd have to go back and replace and end up having to wash yet another sheet set. It just wasn't working for me so... I decided to change it!
Ahhh, so much better!
I found these super cute Martha Stewart fabric drawers at Home Depot in the organization section. They cost me $7 each which I didn't think was too bad. I then got to work.
  1. First, I went through all the sheet sets I had and got rid of the ones that I didn't need.
  2. Then, I separated them by person.
  3. I kept only three sets of sheets for my kids (two cotton sets and one flannel). Nathan and I have two cotton and two flannel sets.
  4. I placed each person's sheets in their drawer and labeled it with their name.
  5. I also reserved one drawer for throws and one for guest sheets.
  6. I folded all of the extra kid quilts and put them on a shelf.
  7. Finally, I folded all of the guest quilts and put them on the floor of the closet since they are bigger.
The end result is so nice! Not only does it look great but now Nathan, oops, I mean that person who shall remain nameless, and I can find exactly what we need in the middle of the night.

If you don't have as much space to do this as I do, no worries. Clear out some space in each person's closet and put their sheet drawer there instead. The drawers are relatively compact so you don't need much space at all! Have at it!

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Very nice! We put our kids sheet sets in their closets in their room, and it works great when they have an accident! Good work tho, looks great!

jgirl said...

very nice! I need to implement something similar for the kids linen closet...hmmm...;0)